And so my journey begins...

January 13, 2009

I have decided to create this blog as a place to share my progress with friends and family as well as a place of inspiration to anyone that passes this way that might be dealing with Lymphoma or know someone that is.

I was diagnosed on December 30, 2008. It was all a big fluke to begin with and I won't drag out the long details here but just know, something as little as an ongoing pain in my shoulder turned out to be Malignant B Cell Lymphoma. The Pathology report shows a much longer diagnosis but I don't have it with me and really, it doesn't matter anyway. My case is considered rare to the doctors that are treating me because it is not in the Lymphatic system...it is in my bone. In fact, the Orthopedic Oncologist that did the biopsy was a little stumped I think. They have all "heard" of this...but never have they seen anyone with it until now. Leave it to me to be unique. I always have been just a little different than others and guess what? That is what makes me me!

I chose to call this an adventure rather than a battle because Webster's Dictionary defines "Battle" as:

1. a hostile encounter or engagement between opposing military forces.
2. participation in such hostile encounters or engagements.
3. a fight between two persons or animals.
4. any conflict or struggle.


and "Adventure" as:

1. an exciting or very unusual experience.
2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises: the spirit of adventure.
3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.
4. a commercial or financial speculation of any kind; venture.
5. Obsolete.
a. peril; danger; risk.
b. chance; fortune; luck.


If you had a choice, which sounds like more fun? This "adventure" is a gift from God. It is something I have been given for reasons unknown to me. It is something that will help me to learn and grown and maybe even give me an opportunity to help someone else in the future.

I have accepted this gift, though not graciously, I will be the first to admit. I have cried many tears, expressed pity and anger and even whined about how unfair it was. That is my right though. I am entitled. I am sure there will be many more twists and turns on my adventure that I may not like or be able to laugh about but I will find a way to overcome all obstacles that may get in the way...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!! I am glad you started this blog...keep it up, keep up the great attitude, and know you are always on my heart and mind and in my prayers!! I love you!

Crash said...

Mark 10:27. It covers everything!