Radiation - Day 1

January 13, 2009

I realize that I have skipped many details from the day I was diagnosed until today, day 1 of my 25 day radiation but I am pretty sure in time, it will all come out. Not in the order it happened but it will come out. For now, here are the basics of it all:

I have a Radiation Oncologist,
Dr. Edward Gilbert, a Hematology Oncologist, Dr. Manish Gupta, and an Orthopedic Oncologist, Dr. Al Mollabashy. I will have 25 days of IMRT at Northpoint Cancer Center with Dr. Gilbert and then 3-4 months of CHOP Chemo with Dr. Gupta. I am not exactly sure what my relationship with Dr. Mollabashy will be anymore but still, I am supposed to visit with him some time next month. He left his permanant mark on me Dec. 23rd when he did the biopsy. He has officially been banned from anymore physical contact with my shoulder...haha...nah, he is a nice guy, I swear!

The radiation therapy is first. I started that today and I tell you, I look like I let a toddler loose on my upper body with a black Sharpie!! The radiation itself wasn't too bad but in order to be able to line me up properly each time, I had to be marked on and tattooed with a needle that resembled something used to knit a sweater! Okay, not really, more like a sewing needle. I used to think I wanted a tattoo but after today I have decided that I was a IDIOT! No offense if you have beautiful artwork on your body...you are a stronger person that me! My tattoos are more like a dot to dot page in a coloring book. I asked for hearts and stars but I guess with radiation, you don't get a choice...they aren't professional tattoo artists...they are my own team of professional killers! Cancer cell killers, that is.

I have a whole new skin regimine to go along with this that includes 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel, Huggies Natural Baby Wipes, Johnson & Johnson Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder, Basis soap and sports bras. No metal anything is to even so much as think about coming near my "radiation zone". No shaving, no deoderant, no perfumes, no sunlight & no support bras *eeek!* Pretty soon I will have no friends...kidding!!

The day I walked in the house with the baby wipes and baby powder, my youngest daughter walked in and asked if we were having a new baby. The expression on her face was priceless even though she is very well aware that couldn't possibly happen...but still, she is so cute...for a teenager =)

Enough already about today. It was the most exciting, I am sure but there are 24 more to go so I should save fun for the rest of the days to come!

8 comments:

OleSkoolRules said...

Well u are ahead of the pack..what with being able to keep track of your docs, what they do, why you see them..I am anticipating awesome results and am here for you every step of the way...while we live further away from each other than I'd like, prayer works no matter where we are.:) Love u! Kiesh

Morrighu Tel Uvrith said...

I just wanted to let you know that we will love you with hair or without.

Cheri said...

You are awesome! For the beautiful positive person you are and the way you have handled the many "adventures" you have had in your life, I love you so very much! Always know I will be there all the way through the tears and the laughter to travel this road with you.

Love,

Mom

Anonymous said...

This is when I am so happy that I live in SoCal... "no deoderant, no perfumes"....hahaha..you know I am teasing...

Caro said...

I am so glad that you are looking at it as an adventure, rather than a battle - you are a strong woman and I know you will get through all of this!!! You have a lot of people who care about you behind you & pulling for you. Love the blog!!

xoxo
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Okay Kristi, it's official. When I go for my next tattoo, you are coming with me! We can have them put "Cancer Killer" on your shoulder.

I think I will wait to have lunch with you until you start the deoderant process again. KIDDING!

Tell the R man I said "hey." The girls too of course.

I know if there is anyone on this planet that will beat this, it is you.

C.

Anonymous said...

You are one amazing person! And I know you don't realize it! I know you will beat this....and I will be by your side through it all. Don't hesitate to call, text or message me any hour of any day if you need anything!

Great blog!
Love you!
Rhona

Krista D. said...

Dr. Gupta is my Oncologist too, he is wonderful and a kind and caring man...although he was sure to inform me that he was several months younger than me, I don't know that made me feel great! LOL!!! Seriously, keep a positive attitude, sometimes it is hard, believe me I know, but I really do think it helps!
I will keep you in my prayers!
Krista